On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 22:28 +0100, Paul Allen wrote:
> We can't replace phone with contact:phone in all cases, as some wish
> to do, because of phone boxes.  We can't replace website with
> contact:website in all cases, as some wish to do, because there are a
> lot of POIs with websites or URLs that are not contacts.  As long as
> this is understood, I don't have a problem with contact:phone and
> contact:website.  If, however, people insist on replacing phone and
> website completely, then I will not be happy.

I agree, not all phone tags convert to contact:phone, same with the
others. I don't think anybody is talking about a mass edit of the
database.

I think we should actively encourage more precise tags like
contact:phone when it's a contact number. We can do that through the
wiki, and defaults in the editors, and gradually deprecating the
generic tags.

During the transition to more quantified data we will see edge cases
like public phone boxes, and others we don't yet know about, and we
should discus new tags for them.