On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 23:07 +0100, Paul Allen wrote:
> But that's what they often imply.

I don't know if this is worth saying or not, but this isn't a war,
there aren't sides. We all just want OSM to be the best it can be.

I am fairly new to OSM, especially the mailing lists but I guess you
are coming from a point of view like "They are coming for the phone tag
again". I'm not, I wasn't part of any previous discussions on the phone
tag or contact namespace. I just want to help improve OSM, any way that
I can.

If you are a little annoyed because you've had this discussion multiple
times that just means it's a hot topic for people and discussions will
help everyone understand all the other opinions.

> > and gradually deprecating the generic tags.
>
> And there you go, wanting to get rid of phone=* and website=*.

I think I stand by that quote, but I'm happy to discus it. I'm not
arguing that over night we should stop people using the phone tag.
Currently phone has at least 2 uses. A contact number and an incoming
number for a phone box. We should split these out. If we are left with
totally_new_tag_for_phoneboxes and phone, where
totally_new_tag_for_phoneboxes is defined as incoming phone number and
phone is defined as the contact number. I'm OK with that too, it's the
definitions that really matter.

As this conversation has gone on, I now believe that contact:phone and
phone are separate things. As such I believe phone is massively misused
as a contact number and so should actually be contact:phone. Lets
gradually move people away from this.

- We can start with documenting the differences between the tags on the
Wiki.
- Lets get the editors to push mappers use the accurate tag, is this a
contact number, or another form of number.
- And then lets start informing OSM maintainers about the ambiguous use
of phone and give warnings to use a more quantified tag.

The above 2 paragraphs might be easier to think of context of website
and contact:website. I have previously misused them, I have been adding
contact:website that are web pages for the specific store, but just
have a contact number and address. That's not a contact method and so
doesn't belong in contact:website.