May 15, 2020, 04:05 by bradha...@fastmail.com:

> On 5/14/20 5:53 PM, Mateusz Konieczny      via Tagging wrote:
>

>> May 15, 2020, 01:36 by >> jm...@gmx.com>> :

>>> I can see the advantage of using a route relation as a          somewhat
>>> future-proof persistent identity -- a relation URL          that will show
>>> the whole trail even if the way is split to add          a bridge, specify
>>> surface, etc. At the same time, though, it          feels like a bit of a
>>> stretch to declare any named trail of          any length as a route,
>>>

>> Named way is not enough to be a route.
>>
>> Named path across forest is just a path. Route would be a        signed path
>> through a forest,
>> with two objects:
>>
>> - path across forest (with or without name)
>> - signed route (that has some topology, signs, maybe also a        name)
>>

> So you're saying any path with a sign should be a route.   Should    that
> extend to all tracks, and roads of all varieties also?    I    assume you are
> not limiting this to 'path across forest', it could    be path across desert,
>  or prairie, or town park?

Any signed route may be mapped as a route relation.

But in many cases there will be a sign, without a route. "Beware of a dog" sign
does not mean that there is a route there.

And sometimes signed route will be signed with paint markings on trees,
or by piles of rocks or by some other method rather than be a sign.