As it is the minimum width that will limit passage, I would prefer to see the minimum with tagged not the average width.

On 23/5/20 3:23 am, Daniel Westergren wrote:

    In the short term, it's okay to tag an estimated, average width.
    If it's 1 to 0.3 meters, use 0.5 - this still shows a difference
    from a path which is 1.5 to 4 meters wide (which you might
    estimate as 2.5 meters?).

Perhaps it could be added to the https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath that width is for the tread on the ground and that for sections that vary in width, break them down or estimate an average width? Then it will be more clear for mappers who are reading about how to use width for highway=path particularly.

I would also suggest that smoothness is added in the Tagging section of that page, as it's very helpful when smoothness for a path is added. For now, it's only in the "Useful combination" section and may be missed by many. And by the way, for StreetComplete it's now being discussed to filter for only highway=path|track that either has a smoothness tag with a value of bad or worse, or surface=ground or equivalent, when asking for MTB difficulty.

And lastly, what if something is also added for surface, to describe why it's an important tag to distinguish different kinds of paths from each other?

/Daniel

    -- Joseph Eisenberg

    On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:22 AM Jake Edmonds via Tagging