On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 15:53, Tomas Straupis <tomasstrau...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2020-05-23, št, 04:51 Jarek Piórkowski rašė:
> > See also: not rendering roads or hamlets in very sparsely populated
> > areas because we have one map style which needs to accommodate central
> > European densities.
>
>   OSM-Carto is a very well done DATA VISUALISATION. It is not a
> cartography. What you're asking cannot be done with only tagging as
> you will have ways which look exactly the same but will have to be
> removed in one place and will remain in the map in another place. What
> you're asking is accomplished in CARTOGRAPHY by "road network
> pruning". It checks density/class of roads and removes minor ones at
> the places of high density. It is one of cartographic generalisation
> functions. All important generalisation functions take additional
> heavy pre-processing and that is probably a reason why OpenStreetMap
> does not have any Cartography projects yet.

 The fact that most maps would look bare until you zoom in was the primary
motivation for me creating my BeyondTracks Bushwalking Map (
beyondtracks.com/map). I show highway=path from zoom 5.

I wrote up some of the technical details at
https://tech.beyondtracks.com/posts/designing-an-australian-bushwalking-map/
.