On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 00:31, Daniel Westergren <wes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well said John. When we now have highway=path, we need a subtag.
>
> Question is, on what criteria would we differentiate a trail from another
> "path"? Groomed vs beaten may not be specific enough. But by using some
> combination of dictionary definitions of trail, in the sense of path, could
> we come up with some verifiable criteria for when such a subtag should be
> used? What I'm looking for is to differentiate forest and mountain paths
> from urban paths or groomed, smooth paths. When people have been clearing
> forest to make a path more visible and passable, that's still a beaten path
> to me.
>
> And yes, path=trail would probably need to be used for trails tagged as
> footway too, although I personally see footway as an urban path and always
> use path for a trail.
>
> Whatever subtag , we're still stuck with all those cases when highway=path
> is not combined with any other tag (whether it should be path=trail or
> anything else). How would we treat those? Obviously we can't take it for
> granted that those cases should have path=trail.
>

>    1. Can we agree on whether or not we need a subtag like path=trail?
>    Since it's probably too late for highway=trail, which by all means would
>    have been the best option.
>    2. If we introduce path=trail, what would be the criteria for when it
>    should be used?
>    3. What about all the cases of highway=path that don't have and will
>    not have path=trail? Old or new. Some probably should (like when
>    surface=ground), others should never have path=trail. It will still make it
>    difficult to render those cases and for data consumers to choose a fallback
>    value for those cases.
>    4. What about edge cases? It may have been a beaten path that has been
>    groomed with better surface material to make it more accessible for
>    example. Would it still be considered for path=trail?

Agreed, the biggest question is how do you define that criteria for what is
going to be tagged a a hiking trail and not a hiking trail.

Eg. if you have a smooth paved track through the rainforest that the
authorities created for grandparents and strollers, is that a hiking trail
just because it's in a forest area? What about a stroll through the hills
of grasslands that have no forest or mountains, is that marked as a hiking
trail?

I think it's too hard to have a reliable criteria for this which can be
objectively surveyed, it's much easier to tag each attribute individually
on their own independent scale.

Anything should work with both highway=footway and highway=path, since one
at the core of the definition on the wiki highway=footway is for primary
walking (which most designated hiking trails are), and highway=path is for
mixed use or unspecified usage paths (which some hiking trails are).