On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 3:56 PM Jack Armstrong <jacknst...@sprynet.com> wrote:
> I have wondered for a long time...
>
> If the rail is tagged name=* but the railway also has a relation with the
> same name, isn't this naming something twice? it seems to me the relation is
> sufficient and the rail itself should not be named?

There are cases where there is a whole hierarchy going on, which may
involve superrelations and the like:

Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Metro-North Railroad
Harlem Division
Wassaic Branch

So it may be the case that there's a part with one name while the
whole has another.  The rail-mappers seem to prefer assigning 'line'
and 'branch' values since that hierarchy is common in their world. But
hierarchical names are sometimes unavoidable. Thinking of my local
bicycle infrastructure, there's a small segment of
(highway=residential) Island View Road that's also routing around an
interruption in a rail-trail (the railbed was destroyed by
construction of a freeway). It's simultaneously 'Island View Road',
the 'Mohawk & Hudson Bike-Hike Trail (lcn)', the 'Erie Canalway (rcn)'
and the 'Empire State Trail (also rcn)' depending on where you are in
the hierarchy.  It's signed for all of them.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin