On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 18:23, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 04:10:42PM -0600, Mike Thompson wrote:
> > I know we just had a similar discussion, but I am discovering more and
> more
> > cases where mappers have changed every dirt road they can find to
> > "highway=track".  For example, it looks like all of the dirt roads in the
>
> I am fighting for this now 10+ years and its a hard fight. I live in the
> countryside and regularly people show up, retagging everything to track.
> Most of the times its people living far away in pretty urban areas.
>
> The open issues for rendering surface and/or smoothness on OSM-carto have
stalled, but it might help fight this. It is often used as a proxy for
"four wheel drive preferred". I am guilty of this myself in tagging
semi-abandoned construction.

> I found the description of what a track is good. All osm wiki articles
> for highways classes miss the point "When does this _not_ apply".
>
> For tracks i have simple criteria when it cant be a track:
>
> - residential buildings (or used for reaching them)
> - (school) buses
> - garbage collection trucks
> - postal services
>
> If anything is seen on that road it cant be a track. A track is defined
> as a road for exclusive or mostly agricultural usage. So as soon as
> there is a single residential building the amount of traffic for that
> building outweights the amount of agricultural traffic by orders.
>
> So a farms driveway is also not a track.
>
> Those last three seem a good inclusion in the rather wordy  highway=track
versus other classes of highway=*
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack#highway.3Dtrack_versus_other_classes_of_highway.3D.2A>
section on the wiki. Your blunter title might help too. Most
tracktype=grade1 are probably highly suspicious.