> On May 30, 2020, at 4:20 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Something else that I've just thought about & not sure whether it would need
> to be mentioned - possibility of encountering dangerous wildlife?
>
> Yes, there are 1000 things in the Australian bush that'll kill you :-), but
> none of them will actually eat you! (not even Drop Bears!
> https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/animals/mammals/drop-bear/
> <https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/animals/mammals/drop-bear/> :-)) Same
> applies to (virtually?) all of Western Europe, but how about North America,
> Africa, Asia & so on? Do we have / need a way of tagging that bears (or
> whatever) may be encountered while walking in this area?

Just about every trail head in my local area has warning signs about
rattlesnakes and mountain lions [1]. One of the local county operated
wilderness parks was closed this week because of mountain lion sightings.

But for the moment my goal is not tagging for dangerous wildlife but rather how
can a mapper simply indicate that the way is a non-urban hiking (and possibly
mountain biking and equestrian) trail.

I’ve spent too much time recently trying to figure out how to better determine
whether the ways I am rendering should be shown as an urban/suburban walkway
versus a non-urban hiking trail (intentionally not using “footway” and “path”
as words for this). For straight rendering it doesn’t seem to be too big a deal
if I get it slightly wrong, the map just looks uglier than I’d like.

But I am trying to display accurate mileage numbers on hiking trails and that
means combining ways that are, for my purposes, functionally equivalent
descriptions of a hiking trail: I really don’t want the distance between
changes in width or surface or even bridges, so I need to “heal” those edges in
my graph based on a simple hiking_trail=yes|no check. My
Postgresql/PostGIS/osmfilter/osm2pgrouting skills aren’t great so I am probably
missing something. But all the ways I’ve come with to munge the various
surface/sac_scale/width/trail_visibility/width/etc. combinations into a simple
“this is a hiking trail or not” are neither accurate nor fast to run on tagging
I am finding in the field. There just has to be a better way to map these
things!

Cheers!
Tod

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar