On 2/6/20 9:44 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:23, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com <mailto:vosc...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Anyway the examples you find in OSM are few and in all cases I
    know the completely erased bits are a tiny part of the overall
    ex-railway.

There are three ex-railways in my area (possibly more). Even though the
rail part of those railways has mostly been removed, the way part of those
railways is still mostly in evidence.  Apart from embankments, cuttings, bridges and tunnels there are the green corridors - either tree-lined hedges or trails cut through woods. Some sections have been repurposed as footpaths and/or cycle paths.  A few short sections have been resurrected as heritage railways.  The places where all traces have been removed and build over are very few and far between.

I could delete those tiny sections of ex-railway that somebody spent time
mapping, but then it loses the coherence that aids understanding (unless I
shove the pieces into some sort of relation).

I understand the perspective of the purists, and one day a purist may come
along and remove sections where all traces have gone. But I have other things
I could be mapping so I won't bother doing it myself.

--
Paul

Here is an entry by some one who thinks it should be in OSM ...

Way: former Ballarat - Buninyong line (802945247)

  Tags:
    "name"="former Ballarat - Buninyong line"
    "embankment"="yes"
    "railway"="razed"
    "ruined:railway"="rail"

If you look you will see that this 'embankment' does not EXIST ... there are two car parks over it that show no sign of any embankment. There is a building over it ... roads ... it does not exist.

Yet the person 'maps' it.

Note I put it into OHM some 2 years ago and removed it from OSM. Should I report them to DWG?