sent from a phone

> On 19. Jun 2020, at 20:32, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> A qanat is a specialized kind of underground aqueduct which is the
> traditional way of supplying water in hot and arid climates within limited
> distance of a mountain range.

while the description reads quite neutral and inclusive, as if these features
could occur everywhere on the globe, the term suggests it is very specific to a
cultural region. Can you explain in what way these are “specialized”, what the
criteria for the tag are (is this for all kinds of underground aqueducts “in
hot and arid” climate or are there specific requirements for the term?). Is
this only about historic features, or are there also modern qanats that get the
tag? IMHO, if we want to include all kinds of underground aqueducts, something
more generic would suit better, while I would be fine with tagging actual
qanats as qanats.

Cheers Martin