On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 14:31, Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:

> > loan words.  Qanat IS a word that appears in English dictionaries and it
> IS
> > the British English name for such structures.
>
> That might be the case here - but only because English speakers have
> started communicating about this kind of thing using that term quite a long
> time ago.  This is not the case for elements of the geography outside of
> English speaking countries that English speakers have no broad awareness of
> (of which there are plenty).

Yeah, but Britain imposed its imperial colonialism upon much of the world,
so
we've been using local words for a lot of geographical features for a long
time.

As for terms we don't already know, the tendency in English would be to
adopt
the local word if we found a need to refer to it.

A bigger problem, I think, is a tendency