On 10/07/2020 12.57, Tod Fitch wrote:
In the old days the wiki said you could put a highway=stop or
highway=give_way node on a way and the data consumer would determine
the nearest intersection and just do the right thing. I mapped
several thousand, yes thousand, stop signs that way. Later it was
decided that each of those nodes should also have a direction=forward
or direction=backward tag as well. Years later, I am still updating
those highway=stop nodes as the various QA tools nag that I am
responsible for miss tagging them. So I am pretty sensitive to
changing tagging norms on intersections.

That's... interestingly ironic. The problem is you *cannot* correctly tag a direction on such entities where assigned to the intersection nodes of a dual carriageway. My proposal would not only fix that, it would obviate the need for specifying a direction.

Going back to relations, is it even *possible* to correctly tag a relation on a way that isn't split at the 'via' node? (How does the relation otherwise know to which side of the way it applies?) If the way already *must* be split at the 'via' node, I don't think splitting it downstream will break the relation unless the editor is dumb as rocks. (That is, I think the editor can reliably repair the relation automatically.)

With respect to what happens when a way is split near an
intersection, I have been using the “tag all incoming ways” [1]
method for mapping intersections.

Heh... I missed (or had forgotten about) that. Yes, that's what I'm doing, also. It solves the signals/signage issue (and likewise makes it sometimes unnecessary to add directionality), but not other issues with tools not recognizing intersections as single logical entities.

I have seen a few intersections where the limit line (where you would
place the stop sign or traffic light node) exactly on top of a the
transition to a bridge. This leads me to wonder what the semantics of
“direction=forward | backward” or “traffic_signals:direction=forward
| backward” are if the node is at the change of ways, especially if
the ways have different directions.

Broken, I would expect, if the meeting ways don't have the same direction :-). (Fortunately, it should be easy for tools to flag this...)

If they're in the _same_ direction, it would apply to the way that is "entering" (or "exiting") the node, i.e. it's well defined.

But I think it is a situation that could be come more common if all ways are split where they enter an intersection so some thought
should be given to that.

I think I've already done that? One of the proposed semantics is that "signals do not apply to a way which is tagged junction=intersection". That is, it is well defined to which edge a signal/signage/etc. applies *without* needing to specify a direction. (This is implicit, because AFAIK signals/signs never apply *inside* of intersections, but to the *boundaries* of intersections. Once you're *in* an intersection, the intent is that you *get out ASAP*.)

--
Matthew