------ Original Message ------
From: "Christoph Hormann" <o...@imagico.de>
To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: 07/08/2020 08:27:23
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

I concur with a lot of your observations and like you i had essentially
given up on the idea of the coastline representing meaningful
information in the long term.  But considering this is a very sad
conclusion which essentially means OpenStreetMap failing in its primary
goal in the single most fundamental mapping task of the planet, namely
the distinction between ocean and land, i am trying my best here to
work towards a consensus - no matter how slim the chances are from my
perspective.
I agree

 1) We should establish an agreed "OSM Coastline position", which I
 suggest would approximate to the position of the coastline on 1
 January 2020.

 2) Any edit which moved the position of the coastline by more than
 20Km from the established position should be classed as vandalism,
 unless such movement had previously been agreed by the community.

That is a practically feasible approach but it would form a major
beachhead in abolishing the principle of verifiablility in
OpenStreetMap in favor of adopting the major consensus narrative of the
OSM community as the reality to map rather than the intersubjectively
verifiable reality.

To put it bluntly:  In your scenario if the OSM community agreed on
ignoring the physical reality mapping of the coastline could depart
arbitrarily far from said physical reality.
But we are only having this discussion because there are places where the coastline boundary has no "physical reality".

We de facto already have the situation that if edits are contested the
status quo is the fallback.  And more strongly formalizing that in case
of the coastline could be a good idea.  But to forgo having a
verifiable definition of the coastline tag supported by consensus is
not a good idea IMO.
I am quite happy for my proposal to be an interim solution until there is a "verifiable definition of the coastline tag supported by consensus"

I would however modify my last point (2) to be

(2) In the case of disagreement, any edit which moved the position of the
coastline by more than 20Km from the established position should prima facie be
classed as vandalism, unless such movement had previously been agreed by the
OSM community.

This modification primarily allows for the continuing improvement of the PGS
import without needlessly seeking prior approval in each instance

David

Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/