On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 08:13, Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, 22:16 Peter Elderson <pelder...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have heard mourning chapel, mourning room, funeral chapel, funeral
>> room. Chapel of rest does not seem right to me, though I understand how the
>> funeral business would like that term better.
>>
>> But I'm not a native speaker. PCMIIW.
>>

> I tried to google images of all these terms. They all find the right
> thing, although IMHO images of chapel of rest and mourning room are most
> concentrated and on the target.
>
> But I'm also not a native speaker.

I am a native speaker but don't have any recent experience of attending
a funeral.  However, the term currently preferred by funeral directors is
"chapel of rest."  See
https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/help-resources/arranging-a-funeral/what-is-a-chapel-of-rest

That preference might change in the future, just as funeral directors is
a modern term for what used to be known as undertakers, but that is a
risk we have to live with.  It is currently a term or art and the way most
funeral directors in the UK describe their "Have a look at the corpse" room.
It is therefore the term most likely to be recognised by native speakers.

--
Paul