Hi everyone,

After seeing the message on the weekly, I had to chime in.

We recently did the same exercise for the city of Bruges  and we
measured the width of every street in the old city center. The reason is
that the cycle lobbying group wants to change legislation in the city
center to be more bike friendly. Thé argument for this is that the
streets are to narrow for cars and that the "cyclestreet"-legislation
should apply everywhere.

But politics aside, I helped a lot measuring the street widths! It
resulted in a nice map:
https://pietervdvn.github.io/MapComplete/index.html?layout=width&lat=51.21&lon=3.2229

But of course, this is the tagging mailing list, so let's discuss the
technicalities.

First of all, most of the measurements are made with a laser distance
meter. In order to be very objective, we measured from /curb to curb/.
Curbs don't move, where as parking lanes, lines indicating parkings, ...
can move. (If no curb is present, wall of the houses was used). As we
are mainly interested in the /conflict**/arising, we measured at the
narrowest point of the street (but ignoring obstacles as street
furniture). In a few places, the GRB (belgian topographic map with
houses) was used (which is very accurate too).

This width was tagged with 'width:carriageway'.

(Apart from that, we also added parking lane information, which is used
to deduct how much room of the carriageway is used for car parking, how
much for driving, how much for cycling. Based on that, we can calculate
in which streets there is too little space).

If a consensus is reached that this should be some other tag, I'm fine
with retagging this for Bruges - but not in the coming month; the
interactive map has to be widely published the coming days and weeks.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Pieter Vander Vennet