> renderers have all the necessary information to omit name for
> footway=sidewalk. It is just a question of the style

Granted, for footway=sidewalk renderers could omit the name.

The sidepath:of:name approach has the benefit of more explicitly
declaring a way a 'sidepath of' though, and works for cycleways,
bus-lanes, etc. too.

Mappers might also be rightly hesitant to name sidewalks explicitly,
because it will make for many chaotic maps depending on the renderer.
Tagging for the renderer is bad, but adopting an approach that causes
widespread rendering issues isn't all that great either.

I don't think these two approaches need exclude each other though.