Clare: this is a good discussion to have.

It seems as though the emergence of rideshare services is still being addressed
at various legal levels but, at least in the UK, rideshare vehicles are not
classed taxis and so are not ordinarily entitled to use bus/taxi lanes. If
situations exist where rideshares are specifically allowed (or not), and that
access is distinct from taxi or a regular motor_vehicle, then a key should
exist to denote that. I note that the proposal has been updated to reflect such
cases.

> Joseph Eisenberg: But you will also need to add a definition of a "rideshare
> vehicle", since this will need to be translated for places where Lyft and
> Uber do not operate, and where English is not used (e.g. Indonesia).
> Unfortunately I don't see a good online source for a definition.

Perhaps such definitions are dependent upon local/national legislation. In your
follow on examples, do those services enjoy the same access rights as PSVs? If
yes, then perhaps they should simply be covered by that tag? If they do not, do
they have any additional or fewer access rights than simply
motor_vehicle/cycle? If not, then perhaps they should simply be covered by
those respective tags?

So a definition could be something along the lines of: “A private hire vehicle,
often booked through an online service or a mobile application, that does not
enjoy the same legal standing as a taxi service. Exact definition may depend on
local law but usually denotes services such as Uber and Lyft.”

A taxi that also takes bookings/collects fares via an app is still a taxi, in
my opinion.

Regards,

Nathan