On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 12:42, Supaplex <supap...@riseup.net> wrote:

I would like to invite you to discuss a proposal for "parking =
> street_side" for areas suitable or designated for parking, which are
> directly adjacent to the carriageway of a road and can be reached directly
> from the roadway without having to use an access way:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/parking%3Dstreet_side

I don't think a new parking=street_side is necessary for off-carriageway
street-side parking.

The example image you give in the sub-section "Tagging"
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/b/b8/Parking-render-carto.png/500px-Parking-render-carto.png
is (in my opinion) not a good way to use existing tagging.  The parking
areas
are not routeable (not a big problem unless somebody wants to route
to a named parking area).  As rendered it appears you need a skyhook or
a cargo helicopter to park.  Not good.  You're probably as unhappy with that
method of tagging as I am.

Connecting it with an invented service road also misrepresents the true
situation.

But there is another way of doing it.  A way which comes in two variants,
either quick-and-dirty or purist.

Variant 1. Extend the parking area out to the roat it is on.  Pretty much as
you handled the lay-by example.  As far as rendering goes, where most
carto renders the road on top of the parking area, it represents things
as a way that matches reality.  Here's one I did years ago.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.08560&mlon=-4.65830#map=19/52.08560/-4.65830
Streetview for comparison:  https://goo.gl/maps/R7Q1RUWGziLaMemW8

A data purist on the list objected to that.  The rendering is a good
representation of reality but if a data consumer were to look at the
data rather than the rendering then he or she would assume the
car could be parked perpendicular to the carriageway with half
the car blocking traffic.  So for purists...

Variant 2.  Map the precise boundary of the parking area.  Connect it
to the carriageway with highway=service + area=yes.  This results
in rendering that is an even better (if slightly uglier) representation of
reality at the expense of extra effort.  Here's one I did a few weeks
ago to test the idea.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.08268&mlon=-4.66461#map=19/52.08268/-4.66461
Streetview for comparison: https://goo.gl/maps/YHTv9dDvSbm6DL1A8  The
streetview is somewhat misleading as recent aerial imagery shows clear
surface marking delineating the boundaries.  That's also a weird example
because some of it is off-carriageway and some on-carriageway (turn 180
degrees in streetview and move forward to see), a situation your proposal
doesn't cater to.

I don't see your proposal achieving anything we can't already do and
doesn't keep the data purists happy, either.

--
Paul