On 26-10-2020 21:24, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> If parking is on both sides of the street, the parking area already
> crosses the street, and even if it doesn't, logically the parking area
> *does* connect to the street. I disagree with the argument that mapping
> thus is somehow "wrong", and indeed, I usually map parking that way.

I'm afraid there is no consensus on how to map features along a street
exactly. Similar to how some mappers glue landuse=relational (etc.) to
the street and some use the boundary of the combined plots of the block.

Both approaches are valid; the latter is more suitable where highly
accurate boundary data is freely available along with high resolution
satellite imagery (e.g., the Netherlands) and mappers.

Personally, extending the parking area over the carriage way feels like
mapping for the router, in that I would be drawing a parking area where
there is none just to reach the highway-line in the middle of the street.

You are right about mapping the spaces of course; I do so when possible.