On 16/11/2020 16:17, Seth Deegan wrote:

The Cycle Routes Wiki Page <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycle_routes#Tagging_cycle_route_networks> states:

    "It is preferred to tag the cycle routes using relations instead
    of tagging the ways."

If I come across a route that has the Ways already tagged with the name <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>=* of the route, can I delete the name <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>=*s in the Ways and just create a Route Relation with the name?

Be careful. This is where many contributors get confused. The name of the *path* is often not the name of the *route*. A route relation can, & often does, go along paths with different names. Multiple routes can go along a path.

I assume this is not prefered because a number of applications use the names in the Ways themselves and not the Route Relation, most notably osm-carto.

It renders the names of the paths, not the routes.

However, some benefits of doing this might be:

  * Takes up less space in the DB
  * More tags that apply to the whole coute could be added to the
    Relation like surface
    <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface>=* and source
    <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source>=* (like the
    official map of the route).

Surface has no place in a route relation as it refers diectly to the path, not the multiple relations passing along it. Similar for the source tag.

DaveF