On Nov 16, 2020, at 7:09 PM, Seth Deegan <jayands...@gmail.com> wrote:
> May I ask why not source=*? I know it's basically depreciated, but many times
> I find myself wondering where past mappers got the info for a route (this
> happened just today). I would find it very helpful. It also doesn't require
> the tagging of all of the ways.

The source=* tag is largely deprecated by use of changeset comments indicating
the source of elements in that changeset.  Because every element in the OSM
database (whether a node, way, closed way or relation) is associated with the
changeset in which it was written to the database, it is easy to get from one
to the other.  Much UI in OSM that indicates either a database identifying
number (again, of node, way or relation) or a changeset identifying number will
easily map (logically, from the database) from one to the other.  This also
allows the “chain of history” and “datum version number” to happen.  JOSM’s
“Get Info” show one-for-the-other, OSM’s web display allows you to “go from”
one to another (click a changeset, get displayed the data associated with it,
click a datum, get displayed the changeset associated with it), many tools in
OSM make these associations easy.  OSM is a database, after all.  It’s good
when we can leverage that with sensible methods.  Moving source=* to the
changeset comment does this, in addition to encouraging sensible limiting of
vast, many-data changesets to contain a limited (ideally, a single) source of
those data.

SteveA