Hi Martin, Yves

Usage is a good point, thank you.

Le dim. 22 nov. 2020 à 03:01, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
a écrit :

> this would deprecate around 20k pump values describing a pump type, plus
> 15k yes/no.

OSM counts 143k water_wells according to taginfo for man_made=water_well.
There are 21k pump occurrences associated with those wells, which means 86%
of them still wait to be completed with pump information.
I don't blame anyone for not completing wells quick enough. 20k occurrences
should be put into perspective of the global feature population.

My small and domain-focused experience shows that such a change could
encourage mappers to increase a lot the amount of described features more
quickly.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/InfosReseaux/diary/391058
tower:type=suspension january 2013 => september 2019 : 25k occurrences peak
tower:type=anchor january 2013 => september 2019 : 13k occurrences peak
line_attachment=suspension (exact replacement) july 2019 => december 2020 :
23k occurrences
line_attachment=anchor (exact replacement) july 2019 => december 2020 : 21k
occurrences

Like many other successful moves done by dozens of volunteers.

> Looking at the no-values, 23% are not in combination with man_made
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/pump=no#combinations
> i.e. this is also used on other objects to state buildings there is no
> pump.

It's a good point to mention: pump word is actually used elsewhere, which
sounds incorrect according current wiki I intend to extend
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:pump
requires : man_made=water_well

All the best

François