Like every Swede I have climbed the mountain, so I do have some local knowledge :-). There is an arete there, that's correct, but it's not named. Kebnekaise is the name of the mountain. It's Sami lands, as far as I understand the names of the mountains came first, then the names of the peaks came much later when people got interested in mountaineering, hence often anonymous names like "the grand peak", "the south peak" etc. In the past noone had time to entertain themselves with climbing mountains for fun :-).

If we go to lower mountains in Sweden then peaks generally fit better as then people were closer around and hence say 90% of the time the mountain name is also the peak name. But sometimes there's a situation when the mountain has more than one peak, none of which is named, but the mountain is named. There's also situations where there are multiple nearby small peaks with separate names, and then the all have a group name, without really being a huge massif (the example I'm thinking about all small peaks are within 5 km on a single mountain).

/Anders

On 2020-12-13 21:30, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

Currently the features with the tag "name=Kebnekaise" are 2 ways which extend north-south and to the west from these two peaks and are also tagged natural=arete (an arete is a knife-edged ridge formed between 2 glaciers).

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/123215393#map=13/67.8934/18.4509&layers=C https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/407174801#map=14/67.8999/18.5215&layers=C

Is this correct based on your local knowledge of the area?