On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 06:22, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> There are cases where there is group of multiple holiday cottages,
> each rentable independently. I know about cases with just 2 and big
> groups, 25 in one place.

I know many of those.  It happens around here when a farmer decides it's
more profitable to farm humans than animals so converts outbuildings
to holiday cottages.  Sometimes with names reflecting their former
usage (The Barn, The Dairy, etc).

> How it should be tagged?
> I found https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dchalet
> that is for a single one.

Yes, that's for one.  But there is nothing for a group,  Operator on each
ties them together loosely, but it would be nice to have a relation or
a boundary for them that could be rendered as a name for the grouping,
would have a link to the web site for the whole enterprise, etc.  It would
also make the operator name findable with Nominatim.

> Tagging 25 tourism=chalet independently is sill when they form
> single object, not 25 separate ones.

I would still tag them independently, so that people can see which building
is Chestnut Cottage, Oak Cottage, etc.  Also so as to distinguish holiday
cottages from unconverted farm buildings (some of the farms around
here still operate as farms but have converted only two or three of
many farm buildings).  But mappers could leave the buildings untagged
if they were unsure or didn't want to put too much time into it.

If we go for a relation rather than a boundary there would be a need for
other
roles. Some places have a playground, or a games building, or a common
building for laundry, or a soccer pitch, or a barbeque area, or a swimming
pool, or
a miniature railway (yes, I've mapped a miniature railway at a group of
holiday
cottages), etc.

leisure=resort doesn't fit.  At least not as it's described in the wiki.
There may be no other recreational features at all, just accommodation.
If there are recreational features they are (usually) only for those
staying at the accommodation and not available to the general
public.

In some ways the concept resembles a small static caravan park
but with buildings rather than static caravans.

--
Paul