Trying to understand your question, the way in your example is tagged:

destination     Troy
destination:ref I 787 North

From the data consumer perspective, such tagging will generate a navigation
instruction:
"turn slightly right towards Troy, I 787 North". This would be helpful as long
as the driver
is able to recognise it on the local signposting.

What is written on the sign at this junction? If "North" is mentioned there I
would be
happy enough with the tagging above.

I have seen the compass direction quite often signposted on major roads in the
US,
thus the question boils down if it is considered to be part of the 'ref'.
A general tag for the compass direction is 'direction', which is used 79% (shy
of 1 mill
times) on highways.

So for the interstate itself, splitting it into ref=I 787 and direction=N would
be preferable.

tom