Re: "If only we could be this nimble on long standing things like
sunsetting ref=* on ways in favor of routes"

Handling ref on routes and ways at the same time requires some more
complicated processing, and for a long time osm2pgsql did not provide a
standard way to do this in a consistent manner, until earlier this year. It
should soon be possible, see
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/releases/tag/1.3.0 and
implementation issues at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596 and