Hi all

I'm ashamed to not have enough time to be involved in all discussions
regarding reservoir, ponds, basins and so on... and thank you to make such
a capital topic on the table
I'd be happy with a tagging that separates the structure, the water body
and purpose of a given feature.

Have a look to Storage chapter in this page (probably lacks many thing,
it's just a start)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Water_management

There are at least 5 ways to tag features involved in (potable) water
storage
What if I'm only interested to find "water storage places" with their
volume, elevation and sometimes particular usage?
Waste water retention basins are a supplementary situation like we could
find dozens of them.
Where will this end?

All discussed features share the "water body" concept (or more generic
fluid-body with substance=water) inside very different structures with even
different purposes.
Why don't we look to describe a generic water body, with a volume,
elevation and usage prior to list every single feature that stores/retain
water?

This said, it's fine to have many different tags to describe very different
structures (building=*, man_made=*, natural=*...)
As such structures tagging should be separated from the water body they
contain, an uniformed semantic for water bodies would make OSM a yet cooler
place than it already is

All the best

François