On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 08:48, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The leisure key is generally silly, because we assign these tags also to
> sports facilities for professional sports people, but for shooting ranges
> it seems even less appropriate to add them under leisure when the operator
> is the military, a pmc or the police, not to speak of bombing ranges.

There was a suggestion on one of the "shooting" talk pages of making it
amenity=shooting_range, due to this exact reason - they're often used for
training by police, security & people interested in home defence, rather
than just as a leisure pastime.

Another issue is how to map them?

Another comment suggested =recreation_ground for the whole area (car parks,
buildings etc) with shooting=range for the actual area that bullets are
flying over.

However, I have seen photos of at least one rifle range in Switzerland,
that has the firing point on one side of a valley, wit the targets on the
other side, & a highway running along the valley floor, 50 m below!

Thanks

Graeme