sent from a phone

> On 20. Dec 2020, at 00:02, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Another comment suggested =recreation_ground for the whole area (car parks,
> buildings etc) with shooting=range for the actual area that bullets are
> flying over.

I have seen some shooting=range but the tag does not make too much sense for
tagging a shooting range facility.

We have sport=shooting and the physical nature of the place usually would go in
a leisure tag, maybe sometimes amenity, man_made or natural.
I would see more consistency in shooting=* describing the kind of shooting
rather than the place, e.g. shooting=rifle / pistol / archery or maybe
biathlon. These are also already present, have a look:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/shooting#values

shooting=range could still be ok, if this is intended to describe the kind of
shooting, and “range shooting” is a suitable category (e.g. for a sports club,
e.g. as opposed to clay pigeon shooting, or hunting etc.), but not as a tag for
a shooting range.

Cheers Martin