On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 13:57, ipswichmapper--- via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> From reading all these comments, it is clear a "crossing=priority" is not
> a good tag. In many places, pedestrians always have priority at
> intersections even if there is no crossing. The "crossing=priority",
> however, assumed that the crossing is marked (if it gives priority). This
> is because of my experience in the UK.

Even in the UK it's not quite that simple.

At light-controlled crossings, vehicles must stop on red whether there are
pedestrians or not.  On flashing amber, vehicles must give way to
pedestrians but may proceed with caution if there are no pedestrians.
Even on green, vehicles must give way to pedestrians still on the
crossing (there shouldn't be any, but if there are...)

At zebra crossings, vehicles must slow down if pedestrians are
waiting to cross.  However, vehicles do not have to give way to
pedestrians until they move onto the crossing (this contrasts
with priorities in other countries where pedestrians waiting
to cross but have not yet stepped onto the crossing have priority).

There may be many uncontrolled crossings (no lights, no
zebra markings) in built-up areas, mostly at junctions.  They
typically have a dropped curb with tactile paving of a
different colour (does that count as markings or not?).
Cars have priority (pedestrians must wait for a gap in
traffic) but once a pedestrian has started to cross,
the pedestrian has priority over traffic turning
into the junction.

Crossing is legal elsewhere (unlike some jurisdictions)
but pedestrians are advised to use a controlled crossing
if there is one nearby.  Pedestrians do not have
priority even when they're on the road but motorists
are required to try to avoid running over pedestrians.

There are probably cases I've missed.

Pedestrian priority isn't a simple yes/no.

--
Paul