Am Mi., 28. Sept. 2022 um 09:55 Uhr schrieb Peter Neale via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>:

    If the user cannot control the flow, there is NOT a "tap" present.

around here, the typical drinking fountain is an iron cast column with permanent flow. There is a water tap inside the column but the "user" cannot open or close it (unless the cover is open, happens from time to time, but is not the regular situation).
outside:
http://www.wakeupnews.eu/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Acqua-gassata-71-199x300.jpg
inside:
https://www.fregeneonline.com/images/stories/fontanella_interno.jpg

So the "user" cannot control the flow, but technically, a tap is present. Shall we ignore this tap because it is usually neither visible not accessible?

I would not use the tag man_made=water_tap for these.

Why not use https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fountain

You will note the different tags - some relate to the 'style' of the structure others relate to the water delivery eg mist, bottle_refill .. thus the tag is used for anything.

The word 'type' in the description is the probable source of this confusion.