On 9/30/22 10:44, grin via Tagging wrote:
Either service should mean "one level below unclassified" and soften
the wording even more ("generally" to "in many cases", for example),
or unclassified shall drop requirement for motorcars and suggesting
service for "narrow paved roads w/ private motorcar access". I'd
support the latter: I would rather use unclassified here, but that's
an opinion.

I would tend to use service when it's either not a government-maintained road or it's not named and has no ref. Service roads can be named/have a ref, of course, but this is by far the exception not the rule. I agree completely on the motorcar requirement being dropped as unclassified would otherwise arguably fit some bicycle roads quite well.

Related to this, I've been tagging the driveways inside apartment complexes as service, but a lot of mappers tag them as residential. These roads are more similar to shopping mall driveways than the type of road I would normally tag as residential; also note they almost never have names and are almost never tagged as noname=yes when mapped as residential. For a lot of purposes apartments are often considered commercial properties for many purposes (eligibility for city/county garbage collection, among others) even though they are places where people live long term.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com>
http://www.rantroulette.com