An interesting collective of comments on 'bubbler' from Australia

https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/resources/aus/word/map/search/word/bubbler/The%20Riverina/

sent from a phone

On 1 Oct 2022, at 02:38, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

There's water_tap, there's fountain (water fountains, same as drinking
fountains / bubblers, not the same as big fountains in the park or Las Vegas),
there's bubblers, are we (largely?) on the same page about these?!  Good
discussion so far!

there is also a whole tagging scheme for all of this.

amenity=drinking_water
fountain=drinking/bubbler/…
drinking_water=yes/no/…
man_made=water_tap
amenity=watering_place
amenity=fountain
…

the tags can be combined to get to a useful description.

FWIW, the water tap tag is often used for water that is not potable (because
otherwise the standard is amenity=drinking_water

amenity=drinking_water does not signify a tap, nor a bubbler nor a stream, nor a spring nor a pond .. it could be any of those and more .. a 'well' for instance.

All amenity=drinking_water implies is 'drinking_water=yes', and hopefully the legal status too.

Only ~16% of man_made=water_tap carry the tag 'drinking_water=no'. I don't think that supports the comment 'often used for water that is not potable'.

See https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made%3Dwater_tap#combinations for more.

A bubbler would normally be drinking water and have a tap. A shower too would normally be drinking water and have one or more taps. I don't think that the tag 'man_made=water_tap' should be applied to these things.

A web comparison of 'bubbler' vs 'drinking  fountain' https://www.dictionary.com/compare-words/bubbler-vs-water%20fountain?root=bubbler

I do like the distinction that a bubbler 'spouts water' where as a drinking fountain 'supplies water'. It is the "upward" 'spout' that makes human drinking easier.

Tagging combinations can get overly verbose?

man_made=water_tap
drinking_water=yes
material=brass

should not need added tags to further describe the water  .. such as

amenity=drinking_water ... I think this is just tagging for the render,
possibly necessary for some.

And then adding

fountain=drinking ... adds no new information?