Hi Anne,

I don't have any objections about the tag specifically. But proposals like this do raise an interesting question.

Your proposal is for a specific value. However, the key itself "settlement_type" (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:site_type) is only "in use". Further, the parent tag to this is "site_type=settlement" and both key and value are only "in use". The parent tag to that "historic=archaeological_site" is de facto.

If this particular (and likely quite low usage, by your own admission) tag is approved, what does that do to the complete tag hierarchy? Does everything in the hierarchy become approved too?

Is that appropriate - to set an approved status of a much more widely used hierarchy based on one (assumed to be) low-usage tag proposal? Do voters read up on the whole hierarchy when voting on a specific tag (if that hierarchy hasn't previously been approved)? Should they?

If it's not appropriate then we end up in the situation where parent keys aren't approved but child keys/values are - which seems a little odd. I note this situation has arisen previously (e.g. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/holy_well but place_of_worship=* as a key is still just "in use") but I'm not sure we've ever decided the ramifications of them.

Best,

Nathan