You seem to imply this is trivial, so feel free to build a prototype of
this to see how accurate it is (note that you will need to judge the
automated method against manual mapping, not the other way around). But
most areas are probably not mapped in enough detail yet for this to work.
For example, in the Houston area you shared most buildings are only tagged
with building=yes or not even mapped at all, how will you be able to
automatically infer the landuse from that? But someone can manually
identify and map a residential area even if they don't want to map all the
houses there yet (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7916453).

Even if you have an area mapped in high detail, I don't expect this to be
that easy. In this case landuse will also generally have been accurately
mapped a long time ago.

-Enno (eginhard)