On 14/10/22 22:33, Peter Elderson wrote:
Just a remark: I think a mainly decorative object is not an amenity. An amenity may be near it, or attached to it, but that still does not make the object an amenity.

Some view works of art as amenities.

A road is an amenity .. yet they are not tagged amenity in OSM.

A building is an amenity.

I view most values of man_made as amenities...

I think of OSM key 'amenity' as the miscellaneous folder .. a catch all. If there is a less general key then I think that other key should be used in preference to the key 'amenity'.

An object that provides water for actual use, such as a tap or a pipe from which water permanently flows, is an amenity. It may be decorated, or fitted to a decorative object, but still is an amenity. The BE word fountain, I understand, primarily means the decorative structure including the decorative waterflow.

That is one meaning of it. It can also mean the starting point of a river/stream... and other things.

Possibly some view the word 'fountain' as meaning "a source of water'. Decorative fountains around me are not sources of water .. using the water from a fountain could have the Police/council Rangers called.

So, to me, any tagging using amenity=fountain sounds like a contradiction.

I reach the same conclusion, but for different reasons.

Peter Elderson