On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 12:12:22 +0100 (CET), Cartographer10 via Tagging
<tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> I always had good discussion on several platforms for my proposal. Each
> community or person has another view
> which I collect this way.

Nobody (at least I hope) questions that extra communities (or extra persons is
same community) have extra input to
provide!

Question is: did you then collect all the points those extra communities made
(both those you agreed with, and those
that you didn't agree with), and summarized them on wiki /talk page, for extra
period of RFC? Because if you didn't
(especially if you didn't include things you _disagreed_ with) then you abused
that input to promote your personal view,
and disregarded the best parts that such other views could provide.

And if you did exactly that - I salute you. Could you link to that proposal
where that was done?

> This proposal makes sure there are 2 required platforms where people have to
> announce it. That way people have the
> choice to follow one of the two channels of their choice to get updated on
> proposals. It is up to the proposal author
> to announce it on other channels to increase the reach.

I'd at least put in a requirement that if proposal author announces the
discussion in X extra channels (i.e. anywhere
more than Tagging ML), that they must follow ALL that X extra channels and
summarize in Wiki Talk page all points that
have been risen (including those that they think don't matter or disagree with.
Especially those!) and THEN have extra
RFC period after all those X channels have been summarized, before proceeding
to the Voting.

Because, someone has to do that summarizing work for extra channels to make
sense, and it is IMHO only fair that would
be proposal author (expecting that EVERYBODY will do that SAME task is both
extremely wasteful, hugely unrealistic,
and likely to lead to few participating members willing to do that becoming
burned out prematurely).

> And btw, if this proposal really turns out bad (which I doubt), it can always
> be reverted by someone creating a
> proposal for it. Sometimes you also have to try something. What is the worst
> thing that can happen?

I can imagine quite bad things, but to be fair, here is a most realistic one
instead: On each changing of status quo,
some people will leave the process for good, as that will be the straw that
broke the camel's back. If you need to
learn from history, see the debate when OSM changed license from CC-BY-SA to
ODbL. And then, if another proposal
changes situation back to what it was before, that will NOT cause (majority of)
people that left to come back.
It will instead cause some MORE people to leave for good (in revolt).

So it not like in math, when you end with what you started, e.g. "(X + Y) - Y =
X". It is more like Microsoft windows
(you can tell I'm Debian GNU/Linux user, right?), when you install some random
.exe file from the internet and you system
breaks. Then you try to install it in hopes your system will came back as it
was, but instead it breaks some more.

Because, this is how community works.
There is no "undo" on community goodwill.