On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, John Baker wrote:

> When I was reading the spec, I got the impression this was possible: (section
> 6.1.5)
>
> <c-rt:out value="<%= SomeClass.COST %>"/>
>
> So I'm assuming that the c-rt tld will evaluate SomeClass.COST as "the
> variable COST in the class SomeClass". But that doesn't seem to work
> either :-)

<%= SomeClass.COST %> is an rtexprvalue; it means the same thing it means
in Java:  the public static variable "COST" in "SomeClass".  But this
isn't an JSTL expression or even something that JSTL knows how to
evaluate; this is just a traditional rtexprvalue.

The two aren't intended to work the same.  If they were, we wouldn't have
needed an expression language!  :-)

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"