In JSP 1.2, you can't automatically use the JSTL expression language in
your own tags.  You'll need to add support for that yourself by calling
the JSTL expression evaluator.  As has come up on this list before, we
don't currently provide instructions for doing this because the final
interface is in flux.  But it'll settle down before JSTL 1.0 is released.

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"  http://www.jstlbook.com