To answer your original question Travis, currently you can't do it [as
explained before], but with Shawn and David's input I'll try to get a
version out which has this functionality as the next step in String
Taglib, [I was planning to rearrange the tags somewhat to make them more
obvious].

There's been enough questions for String Taglib + EL that the user-demand
seems to be there :) Will keep you updated.

Hen