From: John C Cartwright [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 11:32 AM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: problem with SQL tags

Thank you for your reply, Hans.  The JDBC driver classes are in the
webapps WEB-INF/lib directory and I was assuming that  they are being
found because a non-JSTL JSP page with a scriptlet block containing:

Connection con;
try {
   Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver");
   con =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://myhost.noaa.gov:3306/testdb","test
user","testpass");

   } catch (Exception e) {
      throw (new ServletException("Error loading Driver: "
+e.getMessage()));
   }

seems to work fine.  Does JSTL look for the Driver classes in a location
other than the scriplet-based connection code?

Thanks again!

-- john

Hans Bergsten wrote:

> John C Cartwright wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am hoping that someone can help me to get going with the SQL tags.
>> I'm trying to connect to a mysql database using tomcat4.1.12 and
>> version 1.0.2 of the library.
>>
>> Here's my JSP:
>>
>> <%@ taglib prefix="sql" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/sql"; %>
>> <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"; %>
>>
>> <HTML>
>> <HEAD>
>> </HEAD>
>> <BODY>
>> <sql:setDataSource var="monitorDS"
>>    url="jdbc:mysql://myhost.noaa.gov:3306/testdb"
>>    driver="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
>>    user="testuser"
>>    password="testpass"
>> />
>> </BODY>
>> </HTML>
>>
>> I'm getting a:
>> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to get connection,
>> DataSource invalid: "No suitable driver"
>

> This is because the JDBC driver classes are not found by the web
> container. Make sure you have installed them in the WEB-INF/lib
> directory of the application.
>
> > [...]
>
> Hans

John Cartwright
Associate Scientist
Geospatial Data Services Group
CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
(303) 497-6284
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail: