Hello again,

I think that I found the problem. I had thought that the exception:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to get connection, DataSource invalid: "No suitable driver"

was referring to the mysql driver classes not being loaded correctly. It seems that the problem was actually in the way that I was referring to the DataSource in the subsuquent <sql:query> tag. I was using:
dataSource="$monitorDS"

but when I changed it to:

datasource="${monitorDS}"

everything seems to work fine. I'm still not clear why exactly this is, but am delighted that it's working. Next task is to set up a JNDI datasource as Buck suggested. Thanks to all for the help!

-- john

John Cartwright
Associate Scientist
Geospatial Data Services Group
CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
(303) 497-6284
[EMAIL PROTECTED]