You can't use a tag as the attribute value for another tag. It has nothing to do
with Struts or JSTL. Try using Struts-EL:

<%@ taglib prefix="html"
           uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-html-el"; %>

           value="${sessionScope.ventureObject.startDate}"/>

You'll find the required JAR file in contrib/struts-el/lib/struts-el.jar of the
Struts distro.

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>