Hi,

He he, I was testing tails-greeter_0.0.5 when you posted your
report :)

† wrote (29 Jul 2011 15:22:12 GMT) :
> ## Current progress:

>     verify that locale is correctly applied to gnome-session and fix if it
> isn't
> - DONE.

confirmed.

>     fix layout widget loading - DONE.

Not only it loads, but you made a whole standalone screen out of it.

Remember that, at the end of the day, we want something similar to
gdm-simple-greeter, with language/layout widgets in a bottom panel.
Going through the "one screen per option" intermediary step seems
unnecessarily complicated to me, but well, there might be good reasons
to do so.

>     obtain list of kb layouts and variants available (via python-xklavier) -
> postponed.
>     populate layout widget with kb variants - postponed.
>     apply correct layout after it's been chosen (both to present and following
> greeter widgets and to actual session) - postponed.
>     verify that layout switching works after login - postponed.

Ok...

>     Add option to skip all the greeter screens and immediately login with
> default
> settings - DONE.

The "skip menu" button should be available on every screen, and
actually take into account the settings already selected by the user,
such as the language. We need something that suits the "I want to
login without further customization" usecase, not the "Login with
default settings, ignoring what I've already customized" one. Sorry if
the requirements were not clear enough.

>     Convey necessary env. variables to gnome session.(echo "VARIABLE=value" >>
> /etc/amnesia/environment or via /etc/gdm3/PostLogin/)

See bellow.

>     capitalize 1st letter of (latin) language names (e. g. English vs
> english) -
> DONE.

Confirmed.

> ## Problems:

> - ISP failure which caused lack of regular updates and report delay

Ok.

> - it's impossible to set env. vars via /etc/gdm3/PostLogin/ - it's
>   writable by root only and greeter is running as 'gdm-user' account

Then have /etc/gdm3/PostLogin/TailsGreeter source a file written by
tails-greeter in a place writable only by the user tails-greeter runs
as (which is Debian-gdm, on my test Squeeze system, btw), and readable
by the default Tails user.

> - python-xklavier bindings are incomplete: the most needed function
> "search_by_pattern" is unavailable.

Ah.

> ## Near-future plans:

> - find a way to overcome python-xklavier limitations

Can you please point me to the xklavier and python-xklavier
documentation so that I can have a look and suggest workarounds?

> - Next week plans.

Yep.

> ## Additional notes:

> - Right now layout widget is dummmy: only "next" button is working.

The "next" button has "button" as a text label.

> - The language choice is applied to session semi-correctly: if there are
> several
> country locales correspond to one language (for examle French is
> Belgium, France etc) than one of them is picked seemingly random.
> Once there is workaround for xklavier issue than it'll be user
> choice made based on layout widget.

Ok.

Bye,
--