hi,

jvoisin wrote (13 Jun 2012 19:24:39 GMT) :
>     >> I also strongly suggest looking at grml's setup (that uses kantan).
>     >> Pointers and resources there:
>     >> https://tails.boum.org/todo/automated_builds_and_tests/#index8h2

>     Did you do so, and if you did, what was the outcome?

> I studied every ways proposed by this pages (and other too) yesterday,
> and I played with autotest today.

> In my opinion, Kantan/grml is interesting, but despite the author's
> efforts, still too specific.

OK. I'd be happy to hear on what aspects it is more specific, so that
I can update our wiki page with useful (and verifiable,
updatable) information.

> OpenSuse has an intresting architecture, but it's not very usable.

What do you mean by "not very usable"? (Same need.)

> Autotest is quite complete and very nice. You where right, the NIH
> syndrome influenced me. But still, this project is huge. I'm not
> sure that I want to/can spend time to setup it (altough a nice thing
> like this one would be amazing for Tails). What do you think ?

Yeah, sure, don't spend a month setting up autotest.

If we do implement such an infrastructure, then you'll want to plug
into it at some point, though.

> (Ho, by the way, too sad that I don't know some ruby :
> the RSpec and Autotest combo seems to be truely amazing !)

> Another (simpler/quicker) solution would be to use lettuce
> and QEMU.

I think you should now either come up with some (possibly basic)
testing system *soon*, or give up with actually *running* the tests.

This research was supposed to be done during the community bonding
period, and we're now quite far from that.

However, please try to emulate a BDD workflow, even if the tests are
not run: keep in mind to write your stuff in a way that is easily
testable, and please keep up with the scenarios as a way to
communicating specs and expectations with the rest of the Tails
community :)

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri