Things are getting better in JS crypto since the original articles came
out. The latest versions of FF have a proper PRNG available, for example.

There are still issues with timing attacks and with the fact that the JS
can be overridden by other chunks of code and there is no good way to
verify the security of the runtime as a whole.

This is not my area of expertise but my understanding is that (for example)
If I were a developer of Adblock Plus (or another popular plugin) I could
insert code into MY plugin that changed openpgp.js's execution environment
(since it's all running in the same browser) enough to render the
implementation useless and in general, there is no good way to verify that
nothing in the JS execution environment has not been tampered with.

All this being said, openpgp is probably better than nothing (all caveats
about a false sense of security notwithstanding).

- alasdair

- alasdair

Alasdair Young