Hi,
>> +# Configure apt to retry +echo 'APT::Acquire::Retries "20";' >
>> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99retries
> This will only affect provisioning, not any usage of APT during the
> build, right? Or will it propagate into the chroot somehow?

I'm not sure about that, actually I don't fully understand this part
yet. I didn't think about the chroot, plus I don't know how
apt-cacher-ng interact with all of that.

After applying this patch, my build succeeded, but I didn't really
witness an apt-get command failing and retrying yet. I need to do more
test. I'll check that and let you know.

> We have ticket #9430 where we considered adding this configuration
> during the build as well, but we thought that "#5926 [1] will
> magically solve 99% of this problem, so IMO I should not waste time
> trying to fix it differently here" so we didn't in the end. Apparently
> the "1%" of this problem that we ignored is to enable Tails to be
> built in regions with worse connectivity to our servers than us.
> Admittedly that ticket seemed to have a focus on these issues vs our
> infra, which indeed was solved, but now we have another reason.

Thanks for the reference, I'll take care to comment on these tickets if
needed.

Cheers !

Arnaud