Is there a reason Catfish isn't being considered for this? It's in Debian and works exceptionally well, with a clean and intuitive interface.

A more advanced tool is Pfilesearch, but I don't believe it's currently in Debian or Ubuntu (it was invented for Puppy Linux). It's extremely simple though, and probably could be added and thereafter maintained by Tails itself without any meaningful overhead.

Pfilesearch is more comprehensive, but Catfish is not far behind and also nice because it offers direct access to the files that it finds. By contrast, Pfilesearch results only provide a list of file paths that you then have to use a file browser to track down.

gl

On 2018-01-28 21:22, Loic Dachary wrote:
Hi!

On 01/28/2018 09:53 PM, DrWhax wrote:
Hi,

Is Tracker something that would actually be useful for journalists? Do
you know of any case studies where it has proved useful?

If you think the best course of action is to:

* Assemble a panel of journalists using airgap Tails
* Prepare a tails with nautilus + tracker integration
* Conduct a UX study to assert they need and actually use this search
tool and benefit from it
* Summarize the findings of the study in a report
* Present the report to Tails developers and kindly ask if this search
tool could be integrated in Tails

I'd be happy to do that. It will take a few months but it will prove
that journalists actually benefit from having a full text search tool
for their work.

I think it's probably more useful to have a discuss ticket how to cater
the needs of journalists better, than integrating something that might
not be useful.

What do you think?

Sounds like a plan :-) Would you mind giving me the URL of a good
"discuss ticket" so that I can create one that will be a good
introduction to this general discussion ?

Thanks for your guidance !

Best,

Loic Dachary:
Hi,

Do tails developers advise me to:

a) create a feature request at https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues/new for the inclusion of tracker[1] in Tails and continue the discussion there

b) keep discussing the general problem on this list instead of going for a tentative improvement (including tracker) even before there is positive feedback to go in this direction

Please forgive me if that's a newbie question, still learning the best way to communicate :-)

Cheers

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker

<snip>