intrigeri:
The server we currently use for our public XMPP chat rooms will stop
operations later this year.

First, I would like to better understand what these public chat rooms
are currently useful for, for our project and its contributors.
This will help decide whether we keep public chat rooms at all.
And if we do, it'll tell us what we expect from such a service.

My feeling is that tails-...@conference.riseup.net is a good place for
people that want to mostly lurk, see that there's "something ongoing"
and know that they can step-in when they want to contribute somehow in
an informal manner.

I'm not a fan of bringing most activity to private places, but I agree
that is hard to find a specific answer to this question:

 What new problems would we face if we did not have any public
 chat room?

... but let me try:
- Usecase "wet your feet". If someone wants to contribute to tails,
  I think that the current best way to make questions about typical
  problems related to building, testing, etc. is tails-dev room. Where
  should we point his/her if we lose this room?
- Usecase "collaboration with dev of other projects". Let's say that A
  is a developer of the ever-important software FooBazzer. She finds
  that there is something that she'd like to discuss with us: for
  example, she wants to remove a feature that we currently use; or is
  interested in knowing if we are interested in some improvements.
  What opportunities does she have?
   - GitLab! But, are people comfortable with filing issues for things
     that are not bugs but just discussions?
   - Tails-dev ML. Though mailing lists are definitely slower than
     instant messaging, they also work better on different timezones
     and are still a viable way of doing so.

have a nice week!

--
boyska